11 December 2010

The Dilemma of the Youngest

My circle of sewing friends is expanding and we are having a great time stealing what time we can to sew. I love doing something creative with beautifully graphic fabrics.
My daughters have even gotten into the act. The youngest one received a lot of squares from Andrea for her birthday to make her first quilt. This project has been up and down, however.
First, Noelle (7 years old) was very anxious to start. Then, when she got started (this is her very first quilt), everything was going smoothly. Her siblings wanted to get into the act. Then she got mad because they were sewing more squares than she, taking all the cool patterns, so that little piece of heaven stopped.
The she announced she was making this quilt for her father. Not a problem, but as I looked at the squares made up of decent size leftover fabric from Andrea’s many projects, I thought about how this quilt was very feminine, and my ex-husband is NOT an effeminate man. In addition, Andrea had given her enough squares to make a small lap quilt. This definitely wasn’t going to cover Noelle’s father.
So, off I go to find inexpensive additions to this quilt. I have to find enough variety so that it doesn’t look like two different quilts sewn into one, and so that no one pattern dominates.
It is still not finished. It will have interesting combinations.  But she will have made it with love.
I will post a picture when it is complete.

No comments: